Windsor Castle Tickets Tickets and Dates
- Last few tickets
- Limited availability
- All visitors over the age of 16 must download the NHS COVID-19 app before your visit. You are required to scan the NHS QR code on entry, or provide your name and contact details on arrival. This info will be kept securely for 21 days and will be provided to the NHS if requested.
- You must ensure that you have a printed copy of your tickets for entry.
- As a working royal palace, the Castle is used frequently by The Queen for State ceremonies and official entertaining, and closures can occasionally occur at short notice.
- Some elements of the castle may be closed in accordance with government guidelines.
- Under 5's go free
Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ
Nearest Train Station: Windsor and Eton Central or Windsor and Eton Riverside
Golden Tours act as an official agent for these activities, as such you are subject to the terms and conditions of the supplier.
Windsor Castle, the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world, is the home of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The Castle's dramatic site encapsulates 900 years of British history and its magnificent State Rooms and works of art reflect the tastes of successive kings and queens. In 1992 a devastating fire destroyed or damaged more than 100 rooms at the Castle. The highly acclaimed restoration work, completed in 1997, is a testament to the skills of some of the finest craftsmen in Europe.
HM The Queen and her family spend most of their private weekends at Windsor Castle. The Queen is also officially in residence throughout April and June, when the annual Garter Service is held in St George's Chapel.
Upon arrival at Windsor Castle, audio guides are available in different languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish.
The State Apartments, the heart of the working palace, are regularly used for ceremonial and official occasions. They are furnished with some of the finest works of art from the Royal Collection, including paintings by Rembrandt, Rubens and Van Dyck. During the winter months the Semi-State Rooms, among the most richly decorated interiors in the Castle are added to the visitor route.
St. George's Chapel is one of the finest examples of gothic architecture in England. It has been the setting for many royal weddings and is the burial place of ten sovereigns. The Chapel is dedicated to the patron saint of the Order of the Garter. Britain's highest Order of Chivalry.
The Changing of the Guard takes place at 11:00am, weather permitting, from Monday to Saturday between April and the end of June, and on alternate days for the rest of the year, with the exception of Sundays.
The Castle is open to visitors, including when The Queen is in residence, except for 25 and 26 December. As the Castle is a working royal palace opening arrangements may be subject to change at short notice.
- Visit the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world
- HM The Queen and her family spend most of their private weekends
- Multimedia guides in Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish.
1 March – 31 October 2021
Thursday to Monday, 10:00-17:15 (last admission 16:00)
1 November 2021 – 31 March 2022
Thursday to Monday, 10:00–16:15 (last admission 15:00)
Windsor Castle is open daily throughout the year, with a few exceptions when the Castle is in use for official functions. As a working royal palace, the Castle is used frequently by The Queen for State ceremonies and official entertaining, and closures can occasionally occur at short notice.
Windsor Castle Early closures:
- Castle closing early 22 November 2021 (last admission 13:00, Castle closes 14:15)
Windsor Castle closures:
- 25 and 26 December – Castle completely closed.
- 23 and 24 December – closes at 1:00pm.
- 08:30 – Holy Communion
- 10:45 – Mattins and Sermon
- 11:45 – Sung Eucharist
- 17:15 – Evensong
During the winter months an additional five rooms, known collectively as the Semi-State Rooms, are included in the visitor route. These rooms will be open to the public from September 2021 to March 2022 and standard admission charges apply. Please note that when the State Apartments are closed, the Semi-State Rooms will not be open.